Pages

December 27, 2010

How to Eat a Grapefruit

I have fond memories of my mother serving us grapefruit for breakfast. 

Recently, I was in the middle of eating one when I thought, why not post a "how to"?


Let me explain why--since I started taking pictures after I had already eaten some--every other section is removed.

I think this started with my sister and I. My mom would give us each half of the grapefruit all sliced and salted (explanation of salt below), and we would eat every other one. Sometimes it didn't work out perfect when two sections would be left together. If it did work out to be exactly every other one, then we claimed it to be good luck.

I still do that to this day. It's fun. It's why I don't peel the grapefruit, slice off the pith, and slice out the entire grapefruit sections.

Back to eating grapefruit....


Start off by slicing grapefruit in half, and then slice in-between the skin of each section and the actual fruit section with a sawing up-and-down motion.

Having a grapefruit knife is a must-have in my household, and it makes a huge difference rather than using a regular knife.

I couldn't find it on the website, but I bought mine for $15 at a Williams-Sonoma store.

Very important. Before you start eating, try salting the grapefruit. Try it. It may be an acquired taste, but it's delicious and it cuts the bitterness down quite nicely.




Eat individual sections by scooping down the side and removing fruit.



If all the salt soaked in, add more.



After you've eaten all the sections, go around again and scrape down the sides to remove more fruity goodness.



Like this.



Then, when you are all done, pick up the grapefruit and squeeze the rest of the juice out onto your spoon. This ensures that nothing is left behind.

Eating grapefruit can be an art.

Would anyone else like to add a tip or trick to my grapefruit-eating regimen?

7 comments:

jaesi said...

Salt?! SUGAR!!!!

Janey said...

lol! I know! It's different, but just try it!

Tracy K said...

Yes, sugar! I'll have to try salt though, I do put salt on other fruit occasionally, so it's not too out there for me. I must admit that I had no idea grapefruit knives existed. I always just use a paring knife or whatever, your sections do look much nicer than mine ever do though, so I'll have to look into it. :)

I love this blog, Janey. I can't believe I'm so late to the party. I'm glad I went back and caught up on everything, though - I kept thinking of comments and questions that were answered in earlier posts. One thing I have to say: so glad you still do mac and cheese with cottage cheese. Yum! I got that from you and it always makes me think of you. Love it. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post! If I have a whole grapefruit, I salt one half and sugar the other. The salted one is always better. I wonder if you mix the salt and sugar and then sprinkle it on the grapefruit, if it would be good.

Love,
Your sister.

Natasha Kingston said...

Okay, WHAT! I am going to salt one tonight, I am flabbergasted, as a salt addict, that I didn't think of this myself.

Wayne Harris said...

I remember eating grapefruit this way growing , but now in my seventy year old I enjoy eating grapefruit just like an orange . Peel the whole grapefruit , pull apart the section and eat plain . I eat two whole grapefruit a day like this .No salt , no sugar .

Anonymous said...

I have never used a Grapefruit knife, but always have used a Grapefruit spoon - with the jagged front edges - works very well. Also, salt all the way