Pages

January 27, 2011

Out to Eat: Z'Tejas

Mark and I took a little getaway; just he and I.
Not a huge getaway. Kids were dropped off at his sister's house and we traveled a little under 30 minutes to the city of our courtship--Salt Lake City. Three days, two nights.

Okay, we only live about 45 minutes south of Salt Lake, but as much as I need occasional breaks from the mommy world, I just can't seem to be too far away from my babies. What is it with that!! Our first plan was to go to Disneyland. Then, we talked ourselves into going to Vegas. Then, we found ourselves talking about going to St. George. Then we ended up in SLC, lol. Aww well.

On to our first night of deliciousness:

My husband and I? We loooooooove Southwestern cuisine. It's our favorite. 
It's a mix between our next two favorite cuisines, Mexican and American. 
This means we like Z'Tejas


 Complimentary Cornbread: Moist, sweet, honey butter, delish. Be sure to wash it down.




Grilled Shrimp & Guacamole Tostada Bites: Tostada rounds topped with hand-hacked guacamole, a dash of chipotle and cilantro pesto marinated grilled shrimp.

Hold it. These tostada bites?? Our absolute favorite. Mark and I discovered these while out on a date back during our dating days. We order them every time. Sometimes, we want to drive all the way from Spanish Fork just to order them.

This time we were informed that the appetizers were 1/2 off until 7PM. It was 5something PM.
We looked at eachother with delight and ordered two. We were excited to each have our very own plate.

A quick mention...they smell really good. I don't know what it is--some kind of smoky, grilled scent?
I literally held one up to my nose and inhaled the smoky aroma for quite some time. I only put it down--well, ate it--when I started feeling self-conscience about those around me who might have been watching.


Mark's order:
Leo's Street Tacos: Seared beef tenderloin, diced cucumbers, topped with avocado and cotija cheese and a drizzle of chipotle cream sauce.


My order:

Ancho Jumbo Lump Crab Tamales

I lovelovelove love tamales. These were moist and tasty. The little Ancho chili compote was spicy and flavorful and accompanied the tamales very well.

Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill (at the Gateway Mall)
Downtown
191 S Rio Grande St
Salt Lake CityUT 84101

Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Tracy K said...

YUM. Must try those tamales.

How fun for you two to get away. I don't blame you for staying close-by. Then you get to spend more time actually doing stuff then traveling (and you're close to the kiddos!). Time spent traveling is the worst part of any vacation/break.

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Wow...this looks amazing!